mrs. moore's blog

Monday, October 02, 2006

Apple Cranberry Chutney


Apple Cranberry Chutney

I've never made chutney before, but I certainly love the taste of it! It's actually incredibly simple and so easy to cater the flavors to your liking. It really makes a great gift for fellow foodies and for those of you who are expecting home baked goodies from me, you may see some chutney in those baskets! I originally made this for the sauce in my previous posting, but served it with a simple baked chicken tonight. What an easy, healthy way to spice up some plain chicken! Next time I plan to try a mango chutney, but I am always unsure of the fruits ripeness until I actually bite into it!

origin - Cooking Light
difficulty - easy
health meter - high

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves *next time I would just add ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon *I doubled all the spices
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
5 cups diced Braeburn or Gala apple (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger

Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion and next 6 ingredients (onion through red pepper); saute 5 minutes. Add apple and remaining ingredients; cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Discard cloves. Serve warm.

NOTE: Leftover chutney can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy, even sounds good at 5:00 in the morning! Will attempt this one and will probably eat it straight.

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home